Friday 5 June 2015

Bass Strip Down - Reeve Headless. . . . .

More Parts Removed.


































The bridge is a fully floating type and this one seems to be hand made,
as a one off, using engineering equipment.
As yet, I don't know if the brothers did this in house or put the work 
out to a friend.

The string anchor has also been made from scratch. 




















This was not an "assembled from a box of parts" instrument.

I have someone who remembers Reeve and as a younger player, had a Reeve
high on his list of instruments to have.

I remember them.

They were very well known in the Luton music scene back in the 80's and had a workshop next to their house on Gooseberry Hill.

Their attention to detail was truly astounding for the time and, as a fresh faced teen, owning a Reeve was high up on my list of 'must haves'.

Sadly that never happened.


Maybe when it's finished, he should have a go.

Underneath the grime, the position markers are brass and even with a gentle
clean, come up like gold.

 

















The purpose made strap button and adjustment tool are also removed.
Looks like the original slot-head screw!



















Last of the brass parts, for the time being -  are the control knobs - Vol, Tone and Five Position Switch, which from my trial run, give a great deal of tone variations.



















The only thing I couldn't take off, was the tuners!
Every single key but one, in the toolbox and the one I didn't have. . . . was the one that I needed!!

That will be off soon.

Back with more.

Cheers. :)

No comments: