Wednesday 3 July 2013

Antoria 12 String. . . . . . .

Antoria twelve string acoustic guitar.

As I am on a run, with some of the guitars - I thought now would
be a good time to feature this one.




















This is the only acoustic guitar that I have and I have had this 
old fella for a very long time - since the 70's!

This was the only the second twelve that I had played - the first
go was on one that a friend of the family had and I fell in love
with the sound of it.

In the old days. . . . . pre internet/mobile phone/tablet. . . . .
the only way you could put things up for sale, was a card in the
local shops or in the local newspapers.
I used to read the musical column, every night - drums for sale,
violins, trumpets and. . . . the odd guitar.

After looking for a 12 string for only a few weeks, this one came up
and it was in the village that I lived in - bonus!
Tried it, liked it, bought it!
I think it was either £24 or £34 - it was a very long time ago.

The short journey home was full of excitement and when I got
there, that was it for the night.
Woke up in the morning with VERY sore fingers - I can still 
remember it, as I couldn't play it again, for a couple of days. :(

So, what is it like to play?

Since I bought it, I have played loads of 12 strings but to date,
I have never found one as sweet.
The action is so low and up until around ten years ago, no fret 
buzz - there is just a little fret wear, now but you can hardly
notice it at all.

From what I understand, from when I bought it, I think is was
made in 1973 or 1974, just at the time when Japanese instruments
started to be be taken seriously - some, very seriously!

The top, around the bridge, has bowed very slightly, as a lot of 
acoustics do, as they get older and as legend has it, this improves
the tone.
I can't say that it sounds any different to me but I don't suppose 
it would, as it would be a very gradual process.
It also has a beautiful Rosewood Fingerboard, that looks very
nice, indeed.

There you have it - Antoria Model 628 - 12.





























Next time, another bass - in fact another Ibanez, that I have gigged
a couple of times in the last few weeks.

Cheers. :) 

If you have landed on this page and you want to go to the 
latest post, go here:
Latest post. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a weakness for 12 strings I saw one of these on a site.
Im very tempted the wife will kill me.
I hope its worth all the agro.
Fergus from Ireland.

Flat Eric said...

Fergus, Hi. Hope you got it and hope the good lady approved!! : )