Tuesday 20 June 2023

Peter Cook Axis Bass. Another one found.

Hello again!

I have been contacted by a reader, who has recently found an Axis Bass and bought it on the strength of what he could see. As he said, he recognised it as being of some quality and decided that it was worth giving it a go.

Below are images of the bass and details from the new owner.


 




 

I found it in a musical intruments store near Portobello market in London.

The seller told me that he bought alot of instruments from a member of a metal band and this bass was among others. I recognised a good instrument, despite it being in sad shape, so I bought it. Only after that I found your site and read about the whole story.

The bass has a one piece mahogany body and a one piece mahogany neck and the serial number on the head is 204.

As found, it was gutted from all of it's active electronics and wired as a simple Jazz Bass. I have cleaned all electronics and installed an active preamp, with treble and bass EQ on the two pots closest to the bridge, Recreating the active electronics would be really time consuming and probably expensive to, so I think I will settle on the current electronics that I came up with.

It seems that it was heavily gigged by the metal band and still needs some TLC and a setup.Frets are worn, they are basically flat and one of the tuners mounting holes preventing it from rotating needs to be redone, things like that.

Thank you very much for gathering all this information and putting it together, the whole story is facinating and there is really no other source to know about all of this!

Another one discovered and being taken care of.

The original electronics were by Tony Koorlander, which mine has and are quite interesting.

That's all for now, links below give you more information.

Cheers. 😎

Tony Koorlander

Tony Koorlander's circuit and what it does 

 

 

No comments: